Feb 282020

South Bay emergency notification is changing. Here’s what you need to do

A very large smokestack flare burns off flammable product after an explosion in a processing facility at the ExxonMobil refinery in Torrance, Calif. on Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2015. A small ground fire was quickly extinguished and the facility’s flare system was triggered for safety reasons. Two workers suffered minor injuries. (AP Photo/Daily Breeze, Chuck Bennett)

A new system to alert South Bay residents about various public safety issues, from severe storms to major emergencies, will launch next month, providing a unified way for local agencies to communicate with folks across city lines.

Alert SouthBay, which goes live March 2, will replace the Nixle service individual cities use. Inglewood, El Segundo, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach, Palos Verdes Estates, Rancho Palos Verdes, Rolling Hills Estates, Rolling Hills, Torrance, Gardena, Hawthorne and Lomita will all participate.

Some of those cities have already conducted a soft launch for the first-of-its-kind system, said Soraya Sutherlin, the regional emergency communications manager with Alert SouthBay. Carson is not yet part of the new system, but is talking about it, Sutherlin added.

Alert SouthBay will allow public safety agencies to send notifications across the region via text, email, and cell and landline phones about police activity, gas leaks or other emergencies.

Most South Bay cities, Sutherlin said, previously used Nixle, which doesn’t notify residents based on their current location, nor does it allow for alerts across multiple platforms.

The new system, meanwhile, will let all the cities participating to access the Integrated Public Alert and Warning System, with which agencies can issue wireless emergency alerts that will send messages directly to cell phone users in the area of an imminent emergency.

via Daily Breeze


Write a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *