Small Brewery Sunday is Nov. 28. Inside, outside or curbside, here’s how to support local breweries and taprooms in the South Bay.
PALOS VERDES, CA — Need a suggestion for how to unwind after a Thanksgiving weekend filled with hours of cooking, mountains of dirty dishes, endless lines at retail stores, long drives home and a thousand “are we there yets”?
Head to the bar, of course — or, more specifically, a craft brewery or two near Palos Verdes.
Capping off this Thanksgiving weekend is the third annual Small Brewery Sunday on Nov. 28. Organized by the Brewers Association, a nonprofit group that works with small and independent American craft brewers, the goal of the unofficial holiday is to encourage Americans to patronize and support local breweries.
Here’s a look at the breweries closest to Palos Verdes that are participating in Small Brewery Sunday.
- Hermosa Brewing Company, 909 E. El Segundo Blvd., El Segundo
- Surfridge Brewing Company, 137 Nevada St., El Segundo
- Upshift Brewing Company LLC, 339 Indiana St., El Segundo
- El Segundo Brewing Co, 140 Main St., El Segundo
- Far Field Beer Company, 4471 W Rosecrans Avenue, Lawndale
- Extralegal Brewing, 544 Mary Ann Drive, Redondo Beach
- HopSaint Brewing Company, 5160 W 190th St, Torrance
- King Harbor Brewing Co, 2907 182nd St, Redondo Beach
- Common Space Brewery, 3411 W El Segundo Blvd, Hawthorne
- Los Angeles Ale Works, 12918 Cerise Ave, Hawthorne
- Scholb Premium Ales, 2964 Columbia St, Torrance
- Absolution Brewing Co, 1031 W Manchester Blvd, Unit A-B, Inglewood
- All Season Brewing Company, 800 S. La Brea, Los Angeles
- Buzzrock Brewing Co., 21770 Del Amo Cir. E, Torrance
- Eureka Brewing Company, 13723 1/2 Harvard Place, Gardena
- Crowns & Hops Brewing Co, 309 E Hillcrest Blvd, Inglewood
- Tortugo Brewing Company, 916 W Hyde Park Blvd, Inglewood
- Strand Brewing Co, 2201 Dominguez St, Torrance
- Smog City Brewing, 1901 del Amo Blvd Ste B, Torrance
- Monkish Brewing Co, 20311 S Western Ave, Torrance
- Yorkshire Square Brewing Co., 1109 Van Ness Ave, Torrance
- The Dudes’ Brewing Company, 1840 W 208th St, Torrance
- Red Car Brewery and Restaurant, 1266 Sartori Ave, Torrance
- Two Coast Brewing Co., 14928 S. Figueroa Street, Gardena
- Phantom Carriage Brewery, 18525 S Main St, Gardena
- Firestone Walker Brewing Co. – Propagator, 3205 Washington Blvd, Marina del Rey
- Burnin Daylight Brewing Company, 24516 Narbonne Avenue Ste 100, Lomita
- Project Barley Brewery, 2308 Pacific Coast Hwy, Lomita
- Humble Abode LLC – House Beer, 219 Rose Ave, Venice
- Party Beer Co., 4203 W. Jefferson Blvd, Los Angeles
- Santa Monica Brew Works, 1920 Colorado Ave Ste C, Santa Monica
- The Stalking Horse, 10543 West Pico Blvd, Los Angeles
- Einstok Beer Company, 12381 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles
- San Pedro Brewing Co, 331 W 6th St, San Pedro
Interestingly, more than two-thirds of Americans who are of legal drinking age live within 10 miles of a craft brewery, according to the Brewers Association. This fact lends well to the importance of Small Brewery Sunday.
The coronavirus pandemic hit small breweries hard in 2020. Overall, U.S. craft beer sales by volume declined 9 percent in 2020. The volume of beer produced also dropped by more than 9 percent, according to statistics compiled by the Brewers Association.
Meanwhile, most brewery owners were also forced to accommodate local health restrictions, supply chain issues, and shifts in how customers sought out their products.
While craft beer sales by volume are returning to pre-pandemic levels, according to the Brewers Association, support of independent breweries is still crucial.
“Small and independent brewers have proven to be incredibly resilient, and they’ve approached recent hardships as opportunities for innovation. When faced with new challenges, they created ways to pivot their business models to continue serving their local communities and loyal customers,” Bob Pease, president and CEO of the Brewers Association, said, in a news release. “With the return of on-premise visits and new breweries continuing to open, we’re confident in the recovery and future growth of the craft brewing industry.”
The full list of breweries participating in Small Brewery Sunday is available online.