Seniors in Palos Verdes can now apply for the Cox Charities Scholarship program. Here’s everything you need to know to get started.
RANCHO PALOS VERDES, CA — Is your high school senior seeking scholarship money in Palos Verdes? Cox Charities is offering $35,000 in college scholarships to high school seniors in their service area, they said in a recent news release.
The Cox Scholars scholarships range from $2,500 to $5,000. Recipients must be a 2021 graduating high school senior living in Cox’s Southern California service area.
Applications are now open, a spokesperson said. The deadline to complete and submit the online application is Friday, February 3, 2021.
For detailed information on how to enter, visit www.CoxCharitiesCA.org.
Chanelle Hawken, vice president of government and public affairs for Cox Communications in California, discussed the scholarships:
“Now more than ever, students in our community are working hard to achieve their educational dreams amid new learning circumstances and tough financial times due to the Covid-19 pandemic,” Hawken said. “As a company founded by a teacher, we continue to support local students and education in San Diego and look forward to awarding our annual scholarships in the new year.”
Scholarship recipients will be chosen based on their scholastic achievement, extracurricular activities, volunteerism, and staying focused on their educational goals despite facing adversity in their lives.
Here are some helpful tips for students when applying for a Cox Scholars scholarship:
- Before you apply—Review the scholarship requirements carefully and make sure you’re eligible before spending time putting an application together. If you don’t meet the G.P.A. or place of residence requirements, your application will not be considered.
- Financial information—Use tax forms to declare income or give your best estimate if tax forms are unavailable. To be most effective, don’t leave any sections blank.
- Extracurricular activities—The scholarship committee wants to know what applicants are interested in. Make sure to provide an accurate timeline that includes all activities from the previous four years. Make sure not to repeat information in multiple places.
- A personal statement—Don’t wait until the last minute to put this together. Give yourself time to think about the topic and answer from your own personal experience. The more passionate you are, the better your statement. Ask someone you trust to read it and give feedback. And don’t forget to run a spell-check.
- Submit your application and supporting documents before the deadline. If you wait until the last minute, you may encounter issues that prevent you from applying on time, such as computer issues or gathering financial information from a parent.
Cox employees fund the scholarship through payroll donations. The Cox company matches those donations through Cox Charities. That charitable arm of the media company supports students in their service area through awarding both scholarships to high school seniors and grants to non-profit organizations.
A volunteer advisory board of Cox employees oversees the foundation and its giving programs.
In 2020, ten Cox Scholars from Orange County and Palos Verdes were recognized for their classroom successes and in the community.