Palos Verdes Interpretive Center
Palos Verdes’ Point Vicente Interpretive Center was built by the City of Rancho Palos Verdes in 1984 at the cost of $1.3 million. The property consists of almost 10,000 square foot which features exhibits on the natural and cultural history of the Peninsula, with a special emphasis on the Pacific gray whale. This is the premier whale watching site of the coastal area which has volunteers who watch daily to record annual migration of the Pacific gray whale, from December through April.
On the tip of the point near the Interpretive Center you will see the Point Vicente Lighthouse which was built in 1926 and stands on a cliff 130 feet high, and is itself 67 feet high. The other buildings on the site provided housing for Coast Guard officers who worked in other areas. During the World Wars the hillside was the location of coastal artillery which was part of the harbor defenses of Los Angeles.
Today besides being able to visit the gift shop & museum, the property has become known as a party venue. Whether it’s for a birthday celebration, wedding celebration or just a viewing party, the facility has something for everyone. Just take a stroll throughout the property to view the native plantings and coastal walkways or sit in the amphitheater and just enjoy the view.
The Point Vicente Interpretive Center is located at 31501 Palos Verdes Drive South, Rancho Palos Verdes 90275 and is open daily from 10:00 to 5:00 p.m. (closed January 1, Thanksgiving Day, December 24 and 25).
Photo courtesy of the Point Vicente Interpretive Center.