Palos Verdes Nature Preserves

Palos Verdes Nature Preserves

WPNP_education_center

The Palos Verdes Peninsula Land Conservancy has preserved more than 1,600 acres of open spaces on the Peninsula since its founding in 1988. Going back to the original plan by the Olmsted Brothers to make sure that 28% of the Peninsula would remain open space, the spectacular views and precious habitat not only contribute to the quality of human life on the peninsula, but provide valuable refuges and wildlife corridors for animal and plant inhabitants.

The diverse topography of the Peninsula with its beaches and bluffs, steep slopes, canyons and ridgelines leads to its rich biodiversity. Native coastal sage scrub, grassland, cactus and riparian scrub grow alongside non-native annual grassland, exotic woodlands and large areas of disturbed vegetation. The Palos Verdes Peninsula Land Conservancy helps to shelter four at risk species: the El Segundo blue butterfly, the Palos Verdes blue butterfly, the Coastal California gnatcatcher and the cactus wren. They cultivate 60 different species of plants that are used in restoration projects that restore habitat critical to survival of these species at their native plant nurseries.

The Palos Verdes Nature Preserve takes in almost 1,400 acres with over 30 miles of trails through rolling hills, steep canyons and rock outcrops.The PVNP is made up of the following Reserves:

To see a map of the Palos Verdes Nature Preserves click here.

Photo courtesy of the White Point Nature Education Center and Preserve.

 

 

Palos Verdes Peninsula Unified School District

Palos Verdes Peninsula Unified School District

Schools

The Palos Verdes Peninsula Unified School District serves all four of the Peninsula cities, Palos Verdes Estates, Rancho Palos Verdes, Rolling Hills & Rolling Hills Estates. The student enrollment at this time is approximately 11,500 students. The Palos Verdes Peninsula school system consists of 2 early childhood education centers, 3 intermediate schools,10 elementary schools, 2 high schools and 1 continuation school.
The school district’s reputation for having a high quality education system attracts many families to this suburban area. PVPUSD schools continue to be recognized for outstanding achievement at the local, state and national level. Much of the designations are due to the parent and community involvement within the school system.
Like schools in other areas, in order to meet the challenges of keeping teachers, counselors, librarians and STEM programs, an outside funding organization is needed to raise funds. The Peninsula Education Foundation has been successful in raising $3.4 million last year to meet and support school programs. The strong PTA program also helps support and enrich school delivery systems.
To read more about the Palos Verdes Unified School District click here.
Photo courtesy of the Palos Verdes Peninsula Unified School District.

Palos Verdes – Point Vicente Lighthouse

Palos Verdes – Point Vicente Lighthouse

Point Vicente Lighthouse

Palos Verdes residents are lucky to have this beautiful gem here on the Peninsula. Located in the city of Rancho Palos Verdes the Point Vicente Lighthouse is an area jewel that was added as a historic site on the National Registry in 1979. This beautiful structure stands 67 feet tall, built on plastered reinforced concrete, and is similar to the one standing on Anacapa Island in the Channel Islands chain.

The Lighthouse stands on the southwesterly point of the Palos Verdes Peninsula. It was originally named in 1790 by Captain George Vancouver, after his good friend Friar Vicente of the Mission Buenaventura. After many ships and seamen lost their lives on these shores, in 1926 the U.S. Lighthouse Service began operation of the brightest beacon in Southern California here, and could be seen for over twenty miles. The U.S. Coast Guard took over operations of the lighthouse in 1939 and manned it until automated equipment and remote control operators took over in 1971.

These days the light still send out it’s beacon across the Catalina Channel. Electronic sensors and automated controls have replaced the lighthouse keeper and activate the fog horn. The housing facility is home to regular Coast Guard personnel assigned to nearby ships, stations and offices. The former radio center is now manned by volunteer civilian members of the Coast Guard Auxiliary who are responsible for the lighthouse besides taking distress calls from boaters in the Catalina Channel.

The Point Vicente Lighthouse is located at 31550 Palos Verdes Drive West, in Rancho Palos Verdes.

Photo courtesy of the City of Rancho Palos Verdes.

 

Aboutpv – Rancho Palos Verdes Golf Courses

Aboutpv – Rancho Palos Verdes Golf Courses

Terranea golf

Palos Verdes Peninsula is home to several golf courses. The Palos Verdes Country Club is located in Palos Verdes Estates, Rolling Hills Country Club is located in Rolling Hills Estates and in Rancho Palos Verdes we have Los Verdes Golf Club, Trump National Golf Club and the 9 hole course at Terranea Resort..

Los Verdes Golf Course is a beautiful, Billy Bell-designed course that offers great ocean views. With an open layout, the golf course provides a beautiful backdrop and makes play enjoyable for all levels of golfers. The renovated driving range has an improved grass landing area with five new target greens and two large putting greens. Besides the course itself, the venue is a great site for large gatherings, meetings and wedding events.

The Los Verdes Golf Course is located at 7000 Los Verdes Drive, Rancho Palos Verdes.  For more information call (310) 377-7370.

Trump National Golf Course is located on the jagged California cliffs and has one of the most incredible views from every hole. Noted as the most expensive golf course ever built, over $250 million dollars has been spent to ensure its prominence. Gleaming white sand lines the walls of the massive bunkers, expansive lakes protect tucked away greens, and magnificent ocean views adorn Trump National. This Pete Dye designed course has been greatly enhanced, tempting golfers to take risks and rewards well-placed shots. The layout challenges experienced golfers and novices to the best of their abilities.

The Trump National Golf Course is located at One Trump National Drive, Rancho Palos Verdes. For more information call (310) 265-5000.

The Links at Terranea Resort is a dramatic 9-hole par-3 Southern California oceanfront golf course, with stunning views of the Pacific Ocean and Catalina Island. This course is a collection of 9 championship-caliber par-3 holes, masterfully routed and integrated with each other and the natural surroundings. Artful bunkering, unobstructed sightlines and a wide range of classic strategic elements combine to give every bit of the “wow” factor you would expect. The Links offers an expansive short game practice facility and professional instruction that allow you to improve your game—at any level.

Terranea Resort is located at 100 Terranea Way, Rancho Palos Verdes. For more information call (310) 265-2761.

Photo courtesy of The Links at Terranea Resort.

 

 

Palos Verdes – Rancho Palos Verdes Parks

Palos Verdes – Rancho Palos Verdes Parks

Ryan Community Park

Palos Verdes has many parks within its four cities. Rancho Palos Verdes is home to 16 parks within its boundaries.  Each one of these parks have different amenities that belong exclusively to them. Whether its children’s playgrounds, basketball courts, volleyball courts, tennis courts, baseball fields or even a dog park, you can find it in Rancho Palos Verdes.

If your looking for children’s playgrounds they can be found at Eastview Park, Fred Hesse Community Park, Ladera Linda Community Park and Ryan E. Ryan Community Park. Four of the parks allow barbecues: Fred Hesse, Ladera Linda, Point Vicente & Ryan E. Ryan. These four parks also have community buildings that can be rented out for parties and large groups.

If your looking for a location to take some great park pictures, this city has ocean views at nearly all of its park locations. The Point Vicente Interpretive Center is a wonderful place to visit with the lighthouse, museum & gift shop located adjacent to the center. This is also a desired location for many wedding parties here on the peninsula.

For more information on the City of Rancho Palos Verdes park site amenities click here.

 Photo of Ryan E. Ryan Community Park courtesy of the City of Rancho Palos Verdes.

 

 

Palos Verdes – Wayfarers Chapel

Palos Verdes – Wayfarers Chapel

wayfarers chapel

Palos Verdes homes owners have the wonderful natural sanctuary of Wayfarers Chapel located here in Rancho Palos Verdes.

The Wayfarer Chapel dream started in the mind of Elizabeth Schellenberg, who was a member of the Swedenborgian Church and lived on the Palos Verdes Peninsula in the late 1920′s. With this area being mostly farmland and a two lane gravel road between San Pedro to Palos Verdes, she dreamed of a little chapel where wayfarers could stop to rest and give thanks for the wonder and beauty of creation.  Another member of the church Narcissa Cox Vanderlip also shared this dream and agreed to contribute land for the chapel site.

Following World War II, architect Lloyd Wright, son of renowned American architectural pioneer Frank Loyd Wright, found himself in agreement with the outlook of the church with its emphasis on harmony of God’s natural world and the inner world of mind and spirit. The 3.5 acre site and Wayfarers Chapel’s cornerstone was dedicated on July 16, 1949, and later in 1951.

When completed in 1951, it was totaly a “tree chapel” which became a precious jewel to the peninsula. Inspired by the redwood trees that surround Wayfarers Chapel and form the the living walks and roof, this became a natural sanctuary encased in glass with surrounding views of the forest it sits in.

Lloyd Wright’s design of Wayfarers Chapel is the perfect combination of nature and architectural genius which is known as organic architecture. Wayfarers Chapel is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

Wayfarers Chapel is located at 5755 Palos Verdes Drive South, Rancho Palos Verdes, Ca 90275. It is open 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Photo courtesy of the Wayfarers Chapel.

Palos Verdes’ Terranea Resort

Palos Verdes’ Terranea Resort

terranea

Palos Verdes residents were excited when after years since the closure of the Marineland of the Pacific in 1987, this large piece of property was purchase by Lowe Enterprises in 1998 and the ten year development of this 102 acre resort begin.

On three sides you are surrounded by the waves of the Pacific and across the channel is Catalina Island.  This coastal setting embraces the Mediterranean heritage and carries it into it’s architecture. From it’s outside gardens to private terraces that invite you to stop and stay awhile, this family resort takes you away from the hustle and bustle of Los Angeles.

One of the principals in the creation of Terranea was to keep the cultural, historical and social fabric of the Peninsula. The Palos Verdes resort pays homage to the rich heritage of the site by naming some of it’s amenities such as The Catalina Room, Marineland Ballroom, and the Vanderlip suite.  Nelson’s restaurant was named after Mike Nelson the character played by Lloyd Bridges in the television series Sea Hunt, which was filmed at Marineland in the late 1950′s and 1960′s.

Terranea is part of the Destination Hotels collection. The luxury resort offers 326 rooms, 34 suites, 20 bungalows,  50 casitas and 32 villlas. The property consists of a nine hole, par three golf course, oceanfront spa, four ocean view pools and a collection of eight restaurants, bars, cafes and lounges. There is also 135,000 square feet of flexible indoor and outdoor meeting and event space, 50,000 square foot spa and fitness center, oceanfront yoga and Pilates studio, Tide Pool Kid’s Club, and Adventure camp, boutique retail shops and 24 hour concierge service.

For more information on Terranea Resort go to terranea.com or call (310) 494-7891.

Terranea Resort is located at 100 Terranea Way, Rancho Palos Verdes, Ca.  90275.

Photo courtesy of Terranea Resort.

 

 

Palos Verdes Peninsula – City of Rancho Palos Verdes

Palos Verdes Peninsula – City of  Rancho Palos Verdes

terranea

Palos Verdes Peninsula’s last city to incorporate was Rancho Palos Verdes on September 7, 1973. It has 7.5 miles of coastline and 12.3 square miles of land.  It is considered to be the largest city on the Peninsula.  In 2014, the US Census count was 42,726.

This large city is the home to 16 parks, college, elementary & intermediate schools, 2 resorts with golf courses, historic chapels, museums, a lighthouse & 10 nature reserves. In the following blogs we will cover the amenities of the city and visit the locations listed above.

Recently in the consumer research website GoodCall.com, it ranked Rancho Palos Verdes as one of the top 100 places in the U.S. for retirees, according to a release from the site. The study looked at 1,662 cities nationwide and Rancho Palos Verdes came in at No. 96 on the list, which took into account various factors that include health care costs, weather and nearby restaurants and amenities.

To read my last article on Palos Verdes Peninsula – Rolling Hills click here.

Photo courtesy of Terranea Resort in Rancho Palos Verdes.

.

 

Rolling Hills Estates – Ernie Howlett Park

Rolling Hills Estates – Ernie Howlett Park

Bob Tennis

The City of Rolling Hills Estates has two different attractions at Ernie Howlett Park located within the city limits.  Ernie Howlett Park is the home of the Rolling Hills Estates Tennis Club and the Equestrian Center.

This park is 35 acres and has four handball courts, multi-purpose athletic fields, a regulation basketball court, a sand volleyball court, picnic tables, barbecue pits, running track, bicycle path, and a variety of playground equipment.

Eight of the tennis courts are open to the public, with a nice patio and a refreshment center. This is also the home for the annual Tracy Austin Doubles Tennis Tournament. They also have private and group tennis lessons available.

There is also an Equestrian Center, which has three riding rings, a dressage area, grandstand and a multi use trail. This is the site of several large horse shows which draws hundereds of visitors. The center is available to rent for equestrian events.

For more information on the Equestrian Center call (310) 377-1577.

Photo courtesy of Ernie Howlett Park.

Palos Verdes Parks Located in Rolling Hills Estates

Palos Verdes Parks Located in Rolling Hills Estates

george f chandler park

Palos Verdes now has 9 parks that are located within Rolling Hills Estates city limits. They are Chandler Park, Chandler Preserve, Dapplegray Park, Ernie Howlett Park, Highridge Park, Pepper Wood Park, Silver Spur Park, Rockbluff Park & George F Canyon Nature Center.

George F Canyon Nature Center & Stein/Hale Nature Trail are located at the corner of Palos Verdes Drive North and Palos Verdes Drive East. The center is jointly owned by the City of Rolling Hills Estates and the Palos Verdes Peninsula Land Conservancy. The Nature Center provides the community with wonderful educational and recreational programs for all age groups. They also offer walking tours for school children, scout troops and other organizations. Within the last few years the center has opened itself up to a special Birthday Party Safari which is a great way to encourage children to learn more about the area that they live in.

The Center is open to the public on Fridays 1-4 p.m., and Saturdays & Sundays 10-4 p.m.

The 36 acre preserve has some of the most pristine and beautiful canyons on the peninsula, and the trail is one mile long with interpretive signs, guideposts, benches, viewing decks and a drinking fountain. The entrance to the trails has an Information Kiosk that visitors can use to keep up with activities. You are allowed to walk or ride on horseback through the willow riparian and coastal sage habitats.

The trail is open everyday from dawn until dusk. The Nature Center is located at 27305 Palos Verdes Drive East, Rolling Hills Estates, Ca. 90274.For further information call the Nature Center directly at (310)-547-0862.

Photo courtesy of the George F Canyon Nature Center.