Palos Verdes Beach and Athletic Club

Palos Verdes Beach and Athletic Club

palos verdes beach & athletic clubPalos Verdes Beach and Athletic Club was originally called the Palos Verdes Bathhouse and Beach Club and opened in 1930 as part of the original Palos Verdes Project. The architect Kirtland Cutter designed this landmark on the beach in Malaga Cove, and in 1939 the City of Palos Verdes took over ownership from the Palos Verdes Homes Association.

A fire in 1946 destroyed the upper level of the facility. It was left in disrepair until 1965 when it was renamed Rossler Pool in memory of H.F.B. Rossler the city’s first mayor who served for over 25 years. Once again In 1988 after the club had fallen into disrepair, a committee was established to rescue the pool and adjacent clubhouse. This group later became the Palos Verdes Beach and Athletic Club Foundation (a nonprofit organization) was formed to help restore the facility. The community was called in to purchase memberships and restoration began. Today the currentĀ facilities include a 5 story clubhouse, a children’s pool, competition pool & fitness center.

The club membership is restricted to only Palos Verdes Estates residents, with 630 families currently registered and 270 on the waiting list. The club offers many programs for its members such as water aerobics swimming and fitness classes. It is also open to non-member Palos Verdes Estates residents, who can purchase day passes to use the pool, jacuzzis, locker rooms, sauna and steam room and the snack shack which operates during summer hours.

The Palos Verdes Beach and Athletic Club is located at 389 Paseo del Mar, Palos Verdes Estates.

Photo courtesy of the Palos Verdes Beach and Athletic Club.