Palos Verdes South Coast Botanic Garden
Amazingly at one time the Garden was covered by the Pacific Ocean. In the ocean there were a vast population of single cell algae called a diatoms. As they died they left behind a sediment know as crude distomite which has industrial uses for filtration as a stregthening component in building materials. During the early 1900’s the Dicalite Company began mining the earth and in 1944 the mine was sold. By 1956 the mine declined and the site was sold to the County of Los Angeles to become a sanitary landfill.
In 1961 a group of private citizens headed by Frances Young prevailed upon the County Board of Supervisorys to convert this site into a botanic garden. It was an experiment and in April 1961 the first major planting took place with over 40,000 donated trees, shrubs and other plans. Since then the collection has increased to more than 200,000 plantings.
It has come a log way, and today bursting with color and varied plant and wildlife the grounds are spectacular. There are at least 14 Clubs and Societies which are informed about specific plant varieties and have at least twelve flower shows annually. They have monthly lectures, classes, concerts and weddings that help fill the calendar seven days a week.
The gardens are open 364 days a year from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The cost to preview is adults $9/seniors $6/Students $6/Children 5-12 $4/ and four and under are free.
The South Coast Botanic Garden is located at 26300 Crenshaw Blvd, Palos Verdes Peninsula, Ca. 90274. For more information go to http://southcoastbotanicgarden.org or call (310) 544-1948.
Photo by Jeannie Mutrais courtesy of the South Coast Botanic Garden.