Palos Verdes Beach and Athletic Club
Palos Verdes Beach and Athletic Club was originally called the Palos Verdes Bathhouse and Beach Club and opened in 1930 as part of the original Palos Verdes Project. The architect Kirtland Cutter designed this landmark on the beach in Malaga Cove, and in 1939 the City of Palos Verdes took over ownership from the Palos Verdes Homes Association.
A fire in 1946 destroyed the upper level of the facility. It was left in disrepair until 1965 when it was renamed Rossler Pool in memory of H.F.B. Rossler the city’s first mayor who served for over 25 years. Once again In 1988 after the club had fallen into disrepair, a committee was established to rescue the pool and adjacent clubhouse. This group later became the Palos Verdes Beach and Athletic Club Foundation (a nonprofit organization) was formed to help restore the facility. The community was called in to purchase memberships and restoration began. Today the current facilities include a 5 story clubhouse, a children’s pool, competition pool & fitness center.
The club membership is restricted to only Palos Verdes Estates residents, with 630 families currently registered and 270 on the waiting list. The club offers many programs for its members such as water aerobics swimming and fitness classes. It is also open to non-member Palos Verdes Estates residents, who can purchase day passes to use the pool, jacuzzis, locker rooms, sauna and steam room and the snack shack which operates during summer hours.
The Palos Verdes Beach and Athletic Club is located at 389 Paseo del Mar, Palos Verdes Estates.
Photo courtesy of the Palos Verdes Beach and Athletic Club.
Aboutpv – Palos Verdes Surf Spots
Palos Verdes has a very unique coastline which makes for some of the best surfing spots in the area. Some of the local surf spots in the area are: Avalanche, Indicator, Charlie’s, Cove, Dominator, Indicator, Boneyard, Exile’s, Haggarty’s, Lower’s, Middle’s, Pinnacle, Rat Beach, Rat Point, Pipe’s and many more.
Ski Jump and Boneyard are located at Bluff Cove which is said to be the first regularly surfed area followed by Haggarty’s and Lunada Bay.
Surfing is big in Palos Verdes; with both our high schools having surf teams and several world class surfers have came from this area. Besides surfing in these coves, you will also find great areas with tide pools which can be accessed through these trails.
The area also is known for it’s clean waters. Heal the Bay charts have come out every year for the past three years with A+ to A- clean water levels. These are some of the highest and most consistent water level grades in the area.
Palos Verdes Estates – Lunada Bay Plaza
Palos Verdes Estates has another beautiful plaza located within it’s boundaries known as Lunada Bay Plaza. The area has it’s own designation by a beautiful fountain called the Snelgrove Memorial Fountain located in the median of Yarmouth and Palos Verdes Drive West. The fountain received a much needed facelift in December of 2008, and now even curious passerbys actually get out to read the plaque which is located at the fountain and reads “Fuente de los Ninos” (fountain of the children). The fountain was dedicated to the memory of G.Brooks Snelgrove on May 22, 1965, and was a gift from about 250 neighborhood children. The childrens names are embedded in the foutain behind the original engineer for the Palos Verdes Project in 1923, and is remembered for his part in the Malaga Cove Plaza Neptune Fountain.
Today the Lunada Bay Plaza acts as the meeting place for the area and houses it’s summer concerts, Harvest Festival and Santa’s visits. Lunada Bay much like Malaga Cove, is also the home of great surfing areas with it’s high cliffs and protected coves.
Photo courtesy of Lunada Bay Homeowners Association
Palos Verdes Estates – Malaga Cove Plaza
Palos Verdes Estates’ Malaga Cove Plaza was built in 1925, and is the home of the famous Neptune’s Statue. The plaza consists of several buildings mimicking the old rustic Spanish Renaissance style with arches that stretch out along it’s walkways.
It is located at the base of the Palos Verdes Peninsula and is a welcome stop when you are driving up the hill from the South Bay beach area. The plaza today consists of small retail stores, several banks, office buildings, Yellow Vase & Mama Terrano’s restaurants and the Malaga Cove Rancho Market which also includes a restaurant.
The fountain is a replica of one found in Bologna, Italy which is of the Roman god Neptune known as King of the Sea. It was dedicated in 1930 and is the central point of the plaza. From here you can even walk down the hill to the ocean, or uphill a short block to the Malaga Cove Library.
The Palos Verdes Art Center also hosts a monthly Saturday Art Show on the greens in Malaga Cove Plaza from April through September from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Photo courtesy of the City of Palos Verdes Estates.