Palos Verdes Tennis Club

Palos Verdes Tennis Club

Picture

The idea of having a tennis club in Palos Verdes was conceived in the late 1950′s when residents were interested in playing tennis and had no public courts. So in 1959, a small group of players started a phone campaign to get people to attend a meeting at Malaga School to discuss the possiblility of a tennis facility. In 1961 an agreement was formed between the City of Palos Verdes Estates and the Palos Verdes Tennis Club to build the courts with 150 prospective members contributing $350.each. Since there was difficulty in raising the funds, memberships were sold at that time to non-PVE residents.

In 1963 five courts and a small pro shop were opened. Three additional courts were built in 1965, and courts 9 & 10 were added in 1971. The last 2 courts were added in 1978. There are currently 12 courts with 10 being lighted.

Currently, there are 400 Palos Verdes Tennis Club members. The club celebrated it’s 50 anniversay in 2013. The tennis club is allowed to use the spacious main clubhouse with men’s and women’s locker rooms.

Palos Verdes Tennis Club is located at 3303 Via Campesina, Palos Verdes Estates, Ca. 90274. For more information about the Palos Verdes Tennis Club call (310) 373-6326 or for more information click here.

Photo courtesy of the Palos Verdes Tennis Club

 

Palos Verdes South Coast Botanic Garden

Palos Verdes South Coast Botanic Garden

South coast - about pvPalos Verdes South Coast Botanic Garden is one of the world’s first botanical garden developed over a sanitary landfill.

Amazingly at one time the Garden was covered by the Pacific Ocean. In the ocean there were a vast population of single cell algae called a diatoms. As they died they left behind a sediment know as crude distomite which has industrial uses for filtration as a stregthening component in building materials. During the early 1900′s the Dicalite Company began mining the earth and in 1944 the mine was sold.  By 1956 the mine declined and the site was sold to the County of Los Angeles to become a sanitary landfill.

In 1961 a group of private citizens headed by Frances Young prevailed upon the County Board of Supervisorys to convert this site into a botanic garden. It was an experiment and in April 1961 the first major planting took place with over 40,000 donated trees, shrubs and other plans. Since then the collection has increased to more than 200,000 plantings.

It has come a log way, and today bursting with color and varied plant and wildlife the grounds are spectacular. There are at least 14 Clubs and Societies which are informed about specific plant varieties and have at least twelve flower shows annually. They have monthly lectures, classes, concerts and weddings that help fill the calendar seven days a week.

The gardens are open 364 days a year from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The cost to preview is adults $9/seniors $6/Students $6/Children 5-12 $4/ and four and under are free.

The South Coast Botanic Garden is located at 26300 Crenshaw Blvd, Palos Verdes Peninsula, Ca. 90274. For more information go to http://southcoastbotanicgarden.org or call (310) 544-1948.

Photo by Jeannie Mutrais courtesy of the South Coast Botanic Garden.

 

 

Palos Verdes Estates – La Venta Inn

Palos Verdes Estates – La Venta Inn

La Venta Inn, Palos Verdes Estates 90274

La Venta Inn is a historical landmark building that stood alone on the Peninsula hillside after it was built in 1923, at the cost of $17,000.

The Inn was first called “Clubhouse 764″ but later had a name changed to La Venta (the sale) to represent the location where potential land purchasers were brought up to purchase a piece of property. In 1924 they were given lunch or dinner then taken to a cottage outside to close the deal.

The building was designed by Pierpont and Walter Davis. The property was surrounded by rare and exotic plants to show prospective owners the varities that could be grown here on the peninsula. In the 1930′s early La Venta visitors were able to enjoy both meals and some even stayed in the few rooms that were available. It became the black tie restaurant and weekend retreat for many Hollywood stars.The Inn later was primarly an elegant place for local residents to dine and celebrate.

The first wedding was held in1925 and is known as one of the best location for wedding parties. It has a perfect location with Queen’s Necklace views of the coastline from Bluff Cove all the way around the bay to Malibu. The Inn is currently open for private parties only.

La Venta Inn is located at 796 Via Del Monte, Palos Verdes Estates, Ca.  90274.

Photo courtesy of La Venta Inn.

Korean Friendship Bell Welcomes Visitors

Korean Friendship Bell Welcomes Visitors

Korean Bell of Friendship and Bell Pavilion

The Korean Friendship Bell sits on the San Pedro side of the Palos Verdes Peninsula and is sometimes called the “Bell of Friendship”. The bell was donated as a Bicentennial gift in 1976 to the people of Los Angeles by the Republic of Korea to celebrate the bicentennial of the U.S. independence, honor veterans of the Korean War, and to recognize the friendship between the two countries. Over forty years ago then mayor, Tom Bradley dedicated the Korean Friendship Bell. 
The Friendship Bell weighs 17 tons and is twelve feel high and 7.5 feet wide.  The bell is made of copper and tin, with gold, nickel, lead and phosphorous for tone quality. On the sides of the bell the Statue of Liberty is paired four times with a Korean spirit.  Each Korean spirit holds up a different symbol – a design of the Korean flag, a branch of the rose of Sharon, (Korea’s national flower), a branch of Laurel (symbol of victory), and a dove of peace.  The bell does not have a clapper and must be struck with a wooden log.
The Korean Friendship Bell has attracted hundreds of visitors with its massive size and pagoda like stone structure.

The Korean Bell of Friendship and Bell Pavilion is located at the Angels Gate Park – 3601 S. Gaffey Street, San Pedro.  For more information call (310) 548-7705.

Photo courtesy of the City of Los Angeles.

Terranea Resort’s – Nelson’s

Terranea Resort’s – Nelson’s

Terranea Resort is considered one of the top tourist destinations in Southern California. As part of this great tourist destination, Nelson’s has been recognized as one of the top ten eco-friendly bars, and is the place to enjoy fresh California comfort cuisine, delicious microbrews and spectacular sunsets. Whether your looking for a view of the Point Vicente Lighthouse or Catalina Island, this Southern California find offers one of the most scenic locations in Palos Verdes to enjoy a meal or drink in a casual setting. Here you can watch the sunset by the patio fire pits, or relax inside and catch a sports event at the bar.

During the summer months you can even enjoy live music all the way up to Labor Day from Friday till Sunday’s. As an addition to the summer music series at Nelson’s, they will be having “Taimane”, the ukulele sensation from Hawaii, performing on August 26, 2017, at 7:00 p.m. at the Bluffs at Nelson’s. Taimane’s musical talent will amaze you along with her playing style and the energy she exudes from her performance.

Photo courtesy of Terranea Resort.

 

Palos Verdes Horseback Riding Stables

Palos Verdes Horseback Riding Stables

Peter Weber Equestrian Center

Palos Verdes offers many horseback riding opportunities here on the Peninsula. Besides having full care and riding club amenities, several local stables offer just plain riding opportunities.

Peter Weber Equestrian Center offers boarding and riding classes at it’s facilities. It also offers summer camps for different levels starting with a pony camp for the youngest enthusiasts.The center has access to 90 miles of manicured trails and is located at 26401 Crenshaw Blvd., Rolling Hills Estates. You can reach them at (310) 541-9476 or go to www.PWECENT.com for more information.

Palos Verdes Stables was established in 1926 it is home to over 87 privately owned horses and provides immediate access to miles of public trails. So whether you’re looking to improve your riding skills or simply want to board your horse this stable will meet your needs. Currently, they are running their summer horse camps with pony camps starting with kids as young as 4. Horseback riding is also available by calling (310) 378-3527. The stable is located at 4057 Via Opata, Palos Verdes Estates. Go to www.palosverdesstables.com for more information.

Wagon Wheel offers trail rides throughout the week. The one hour guided tour will take you through canyons lush with coastal chaparral habitat and continues on up to a sweeping panoramic view of the entire Los Angeles basin. For more experienced riders they recommend a two hour ride, which will take you over to Dapple Gray and Strawberry Lane. Reservations are required and they suggest you book at your earliest convenience. To schedule a ride call (310) 567-3582, or go to pat@pvhorses.net.

Photo courtesy of Peter Weber Equestrian Center.

Gorgeous Palos Verdes Home for Lease!

Gorgeous Palos Verdes Home for Lease!

29132 Warnick Road,

This gorgeous Palos Verdes homes is now availabe for lease for only $4300/month. Located at 29132 Warnick Road, Rancho Palos Verdes,  in the Los Verdes neightborhood, this 4 bedroom, 2 bath, 2,247 square foot home is move in ready for it’s new family.

This home has a modern floor plan and has been nicely removated. It’s remodeled kitchen and baths have been tastefully done. It has an open floor plan and soaring vaulted ceilings, with floor to ceiling glass windows and new wide plant white oak distressed floors on the main level. There is also a newly remodeled stacked stone fireplace which adds to the comfortable style of the home plus a gigantic great room. Upstairs there is a partial ocean view from some of the bedrooms, and the master retreat has a remodeled bath.

This is definitely a perfect family home with it’s landscaped backyard and patio to relax and entertain in. It is located close to parks and the Peninsula Center.

This lovely home will definitely go fast. Please call Tuba at (310) 686-4688 for a private showing.

Palos Verdes Nature Preserves

Palos Verdes Nature Preserves

WPNP_education_center

The Palos Verdes Peninsula Land Conservancy has preserved more than 1,600 acres of open spaces on the Peninsula since its founding in 1988. Going back to the original plan by the Olmsted Brothers to make sure that 28% of the Peninsula would remain open space, the spectacular views and precious habitat not only contribute to the quality of human life on the peninsula, but provide valuable refuges and wildlife corridors for animal and plant inhabitants.

The diverse topography of the Peninsula with its beaches and bluffs, steep slopes, canyons and ridgelines leads to its rich biodiversity. Native coastal sage scrub, grassland, cactus and riparian scrub grow alongside non-native annual grassland, exotic woodlands and large areas of disturbed vegetation. The Palos Verdes Peninsula Land Conservancy helps to shelter four at risk species: the El Segundo blue butterfly, the Palos Verdes blue butterfly, the Coastal California gnatcatcher and the cactus wren. They cultivate 60 different species of plants that are used in restoration projects that restore habitat critical to survival of these species at their native plant nurseries.

The Palos Verdes Nature Preserve takes in almost 1,400 acres with over 30 miles of trails through rolling hills, steep canyons and rock outcrops.The PVNP is made up of the following Reserves:

To see a map of the Palos Verdes Nature Preserves click here.

Photo courtesy of the White Point Nature Education Center and Preserve.

 

 

Palos Verdes Peninsula Unified School District

Palos Verdes Peninsula Unified School District

Schools

The Palos Verdes Peninsula Unified School District serves all four of the Peninsula cities, Palos Verdes Estates, Rancho Palos Verdes, Rolling Hills & Rolling Hills Estates. The student enrollment at this time is approximately 11,500 students. The Palos Verdes Peninsula school system consists of 2 early childhood education centers, 3 intermediate schools,10 elementary schools, 2 high schools and 1 continuation school.
The school district’s reputation for having a high quality education system attracts many families to this suburban area. PVPUSD schools continue to be recognized for outstanding achievement at the local, state and national level. Much of the designations are due to the parent and community involvement within the school system.
Like schools in other areas, in order to meet the challenges of keeping teachers, counselors, librarians and STEM programs, an outside funding organization is needed to raise funds. The Peninsula Education Foundation has been successful in raising $3.4 million last year to meet and support school programs. The strong PTA program also helps support and enrich school delivery systems.
To read more about the Palos Verdes Unified School District click here.
Photo courtesy of the Palos Verdes Peninsula Unified School District.

Palos Verdes – Point Vicente Lighthouse

Palos Verdes – Point Vicente Lighthouse

Point Vicente Lighthouse

Palos Verdes residents are lucky to have this beautiful gem here on the Peninsula. Located in the city of Rancho Palos Verdes the Point Vicente Lighthouse is an area jewel that was added as a historic site on the National Registry in 1979. This beautiful structure stands 67 feet tall, built on plastered reinforced concrete, and is similar to the one standing on Anacapa Island in the Channel Islands chain.

The Lighthouse stands on the southwesterly point of the Palos Verdes Peninsula. It was originally named in 1790 by Captain George Vancouver, after his good friend Friar Vicente of the Mission Buenaventura. After many ships and seamen lost their lives on these shores, in 1926 the U.S. Lighthouse Service began operation of the brightest beacon in Southern California here, and could be seen for over twenty miles. The U.S. Coast Guard took over operations of the lighthouse in 1939 and manned it until automated equipment and remote control operators took over in 1971.

These days the light still send out it’s beacon across the Catalina Channel. Electronic sensors and automated controls have replaced the lighthouse keeper and activate the fog horn. The housing facility is home to regular Coast Guard personnel assigned to nearby ships, stations and offices. The former radio center is now manned by volunteer civilian members of the Coast Guard Auxiliary who are responsible for the lighthouse besides taking distress calls from boaters in the Catalina Channel.

The Point Vicente Lighthouse is located at 31550 Palos Verdes Drive West, in Rancho Palos Verdes.

Photo courtesy of the City of Rancho Palos Verdes.